Thursday, March 7, 2019

Challenging Ourselves To Receive Pleasure

What role does pleasure have in your life, your well-being, your healing? This was the question that challenged me most listening to some of the speakers on the Explore More Summit over the last week. I realized how completely I've been socialized into seeing that which is nourishing as a means to an end- a way to create sustainable energy so I can contribute to the world, and earn what I need (including connection and belonging.)

This isn't news (about moi :-) ) but I let myself consider- What happens if we think of that which gives us pleasure as an end in itself, a way to just en-joy being alive?

So, tell me what gives you pleasure.Tell me what senses it delights. I find pleasure in a hot bath (particularly during 20 below temperatures outside) - the way the heat sinks into my skin, my muscles, my bones.

What do you do simply for the pleasure it gives? Where do you receive pleasure without reservation? ~Oriah

Visually, one of my daily pleasures is enjoying the photos like this one from Karen Davis at Open Door Dreaming


7 comments:

  1. Smooth cotton bedsheets, the smell of line-dried clothes, my husband's warm scent, the purr of my cats, the scent of the earth...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, nice- particularly like being reminded of the pleasure of smooth cotton bedsheets. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. When I am in my Tennessee Native Plant Garden.....a labor of love for the past 30+ years, or deep in nature listening to birdsong, babbling brooks, and filling my lungs with the sweetness of untainted air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sitting outside when it is raining, warm in my blanket and smelling the fresh earth. Nimrat .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that brings back memories of sitting on the porch of my childhood home watching, listening and smelling the rain. Thank you

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post, and blog! I like moving paint around, singing wildly, stroking little dogs, and most of all laughing until my face hurts.

    ReplyDelete