Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Body Wisdom in Challenging Times

Yesterday, I felt a slight tension in my chest that often leads to tachycardia (pulse sometimes as high as 200 bpm) that accentuates my regularly irregular heartbeat, (not to worry- it is being cared for and monitored.)

And the thought came, "My heart stumbles."

I've just been sitting with that. A rapid, irregular heart beat can feel like a stumble, the kind of misstep we make when walking if we are distracted, or moving too fast, or feeling very emotional.

So, I remind myself to slow down, to focus on this present moment, and to notice how too much news and passionate commentary can stir up strong emotions that exhaust and disorient. I am not suggesting that we turn away from awareness of our shared world, but I think my heart is reminding me to consider how I can be informed and participate in a sustainable way.

And when it comes to sustainability, our bodies are the experts.

So, what is your body telling you today about what you need? ~Oriah

Just looking at this photo from Karen Davis at Open Door Dreaming I imagine the sound of the waves. Perhaps a day to go down to the lake and let their rhythm steady my stumbling heart.


8 comments:

  1. Thankyou Oriah. I've been considering this question since the Christmas period, when I was overwhelmed by a very physical anxiety. I'm still not sure what was going on - I'm currently exploring the physical, psychological and spiritual aspects - but the distress I felt in my body was a powerful warning that I could no longer ignore the anxiety that's been worsening over the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, seems to be a lot of over-the-top anxiety going around these days. Hope you can find what is provoking yours and use deep self care.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for introducing me to Open Door Dreaming. I love her work as well as yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen's photos are fabulous, aren't they? Glad you enjoy them.

      Delete
  3. my body needs a smaller world for now. I'm trying to oblige.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we just need to snuggle down into a bit of a nest for awhile. :-)

      Delete
  4. I love her works too. Thank you Oriah for sharing.

    - Gustavo Woltmann

    ReplyDelete