Friday, September 23, 2016

The Dark Forest

Sometimes, writing a book is a lot like life. You are entering a forest. At the beginning there seems to be a path, and you strike off with curiosity, optimism and a hoped-for schedule. At some point, it becomes apparent that there is no path, and that you are not going to get out of the seemingly infinite trees before the sun sinks beneath the horizon. You are here for the night, and the forest is filled with strange sounds and mysterious movements. There is no going back. You are lost, and you realize you have not told anyone where you are going so those who love you will not even know where to look. It strikes me that this could be a metaphor for many of the adventures we choose or have foisted upon us: having a child, studying for and entering a new career, any creative project, entering intimate relationship, getting married, getting divorced, living with a chronic illness. . . And there is no single "right" answer for what to do. Sometimes it is wisest to sit down and wait for the dim light of dawn to filter through the trees. Other times it's wiser to edge forward carefully, making progress however slowly. Sometimes we call out for help, and sometimes we wrap ourselves in silence unti courage and clarity find us. Often help comes from completely unexpected places- a friend carrying a light appears, angels come to our aid. And sometimes we are called to stand up and fight if we want to survive the night. I am deep in the forest now, although I do, at times, stumble upon unexpected clearings. In those places I can navigate by the stars if I remember to look up. ~Oriah A spectacular photo by Karen Davis from Open Door Dreaming of a comet traversing the Milky Way.

7 comments:

  1. "Sometimes we call out for help, and sometimes we wrap ourselves in silence until courage and clarity find us." - I love you Oriah. It's like you are in my head. And in my heart. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. What I learn from sharing writing is just how many of us go through similar thoughts and feelings. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm writing my will right now and there are similarities with what you describe. It's an old fashioned will where you tell people what you think :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea. I have a will- but perhaps I will write letters to those I love and put it with the will covering practicalities. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've come here after a long time. And whenever I come I sure find something that speaks to me! Every single time!! Thank you Oriah.

    ReplyDelete