Sunday, January 10, 2016

Not Knowing

Sometimes you have to leave
what you think you know
behind.
No one ever really wants to do this.
Knowing things
thinking we know things
can be very comforting.
All day, soul whispers
what I need to know.
I don’t hear her
until I lay aside
cherished beliefs and assumptions
until I dare to be with the not-knowing.
And then. . . .
Well, that’s the risky part, isn’t it?
There is no telling
what living an ensouled life
might ask of us.
~Oriah "Mountain Dreamer" House (c) 2016
So this is where I am in writing the book, "The Choice" -on the great plain of not knowing, offering myself- pen in hand- anyway. Each day, the darkness yields to the light, and words hit the page, surprising me. When I saw this photo from Karen Davis at Open Door Dreaming, I smiled- because this is what it's like: the light coming again and again, the darkness making the illumination breath-taking.

4 comments:

  1. I too have been writing - in fact your photo reminds me of the 30 days of writing I did to the lunar cycle. Wow, wow, and wow. I awoke at 5.30 each morning for 30 days not knowing a starting point or my ending point. What eventuated was 13000 words pouring onto the page and 30 poems rifted from my heart. I am now putting it into book form - its gorgeousness is called Dancing to her own Full Moonlight - a woman's ebb and flow of being fully woman. It will so resonate with the over-giver, the over-doer and woman going through a real sense of loss, grief and emotional void who want to reinvent themselves. I would love to email you Oriah and get your words of "testimonial" as you too are mentioned in one of my poems The Perfect bloom - talking about our "roses" - our collective of women who have inspired us. I invite you to look out for my email. With poetetic anticipation. Janelle www.somebodybeautiful.com

    I help you find and fuel your feminine
    To fiercely love yourself
    Your body
    Your femininity
    Your ebb and flow and
    To be fully woman
    As you navigate
    Your transitions
    In Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janelle- what a wonderful way to structure a self-retreat for writing. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed this "writing retreat time" was incredibly powerful and also very efficient! I have emailed you with my poetry for you and would love your thoughts and endorsement. I trust you will resonate with it / the themes / the healing / the power of words... It's called Dancing in her own Full Moonlight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to say that this is one of my favorite poems.

    ReplyDelete