Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Getting Unhooked

“I feel,” I said to a friend as we started the new year, “like I can’t quite get my feet on the ground. Every time I think I'm on solid ground, it disappears out from beneath me.”

It’s understandable. It’d been a busy eighteen months: my marriage had ended unexpectedly and I'd lost my home and most of my possessions; my mother had been diagnosed with early Alzheimer’s; my father’s advanced Alzheimer’s had spiralled down into unpredictable violence and delusions necessitating specialized care. Perhaps not surprisingly my own health had deteriorated, culminating in a recent cardiac incident and on-going migraines.

With the support of my sons and some very good friends, my spirits were (and are) good. But I felt like I was having a hard time finding the energy and uninterrupted time that would let me pursue my writing or any other consistent work. I simply could get my feet on solid ground.

About a week ago, on day twenty-two of a migraine, looking for a little guidance amongst the books on my shelves, I pulled out Pema Chrodron’s, When Things Fall Apart. Randomly opening the book I read:

“We want to have some reliable, comfortable ground under our feet, but we’ve tried a thousand ways to hide and a thousand ways to tie up all the loose ends, and the ground just keeps moving under us. Trying to get lasting security teaches us a lot, because if we never try to do it, we never notice that it can’t be done. Turning our minds toward the dharma speeds up the process of discover. At every turn we realize once again that it’s completely hopeless- we can’t get any ground under our feet.”

“It’s completely hopeless.” It’s hard to describe the sense of relief that flooded through my body as I read these words. It was as if hooks planted throughout my body were released, unhooked. Of course, I’d read this before. But the idea of adapting to uncertainty and difficulty when things are going more or less as we’d anticipated is an interesting idea, not a life raft that makes continuing possible.

My relief wasn’t about giving up on doing what had to be done, or neglecting to care for myself and others to the best of my ability. It was about giving up any hope of finding or creating solid- as in unchanging and predictable- ground; giving up trying to move away from the discomfort of not-knowing; giving up the illusion that tomorrow I may wake up as a “better” me, someone more “on top of it,” more able to direct or control the uncontrollable. It’s about relaxing into life as it is, relaxing into the hopelessness of controlling impermanence even as we do our best to meet and respond to the conditions of the moment.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but Pema’s encouragement to “relax into hopelessness” gave me just the break I needed. Since then, I’ve been thinking of moving through life as less about finding solid ground and more about learning to walk across the deck of a small boat on the open seas. Sometimes the waters are rough, sometimes they’re calm. Sometimes you keep your balance. Sometimes you fall overboard, and hopefully a fellow seafarer is there to throw you a line, as you will throw one to them when the time comes.

Hoping and trying to control the weather or the sea is a futile waste of energy that can wear us out. Learning to walk and rest, dance and dream on a rolling deck is a far more useful skill.

7 comments:

  1. Bless you for this! It was just what I needed to read! It is indeed tough for us control-freaks to accept impermanence and go with the flow and "relax into the hopelessness" of this. I keep telling myself all the time "Oh for Goodness sake will you just shut up, breathe and relax! You can't controll every bloody thing and you sure can't control others to hurry up with their decisions only just because you have already come up with a decision what's best for everyone." Sometimes I really do wish to make the grass grow quicker LOL instead of simply, just for one tiny moment, relaxing into what IS and be fine with it.
    Thank you for helping me relax with your blogs!
    Lotsa Love, Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so true.

    Oh, so hard.

    Thank you, Oriah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i can only say thank you for this blog. it's meant for me. how i love your way of putting out what is useful and uplifting.........thank you so much, your in my heart and prayers

      Delete
  3. Hello Oriah, I just finished reading your book again after many years -The Dance. I feel very grateful for reading it again in this time of my life.
    I am in my 52 years old and going through life's challenges and I could understand what you wrote there now.... Many many many thanks!!
    I'd like to say to you, after reading your words above, that you are an extraordinary human being! You make a difference in my life right now and I am sure in many others lives...keep going as Pema's words inspired you, as well as yours to all of us!!!
    I pray for the Mystery of Life (Myo-Ho) to cheer you up as fast as possible...
    You are making a huge difference in the world!
    God Bless you always and your sons!!!!
    From my heart and all my gratitude.
    Takako Ka

    ReplyDelete
  4. Takako Ka, thanks for the good wishes- although as I said in the piece my spirits are good. Our culture equates hopelessness with being emotionally distraught- but for me, as Pema describes, it is about freedom from continually trying to predict or control the unpredictable or uncontrollable. So I am in good cheer :-) Oriah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Oriah
    I have just completed reading The Call... Thank you. The last six months have been very difficlut emotionally, and your book is the last book that I have completed reading, yesterday. It has reeally helped me with coming to a place acceptance of my situation. At work, I just practiced what I understood as a 'non-doing'... stopped myself reacting, did something different to what i would usually do - and it was the right action... Thank you.

    Zenariah in Cape Town

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zenariah, so glad it was helpful- ah the liberation and release of finding just a moment of non-doing :-)

    ReplyDelete