Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Visioning

Dear Friends, well, you may have noticed I am here even less than usual. There is a reason. My eyesight is impaired. I have always worked predominantly with one eye (my other eye has about 10% vision- optic nerve problem) and right now my "good" eye is not doing well. Not looking for advice- have doctors and healthcare practioners and we are on it. Aside from the pain (think ice pic in eye) I have to give the eye a rest- which means not looking at a lit screen and no reading. The latter is my lifeblood- always has been (and yes, I know I can listen to audiobooks but it is not the same!)

So, aside from concern about my vision this poses an interesting situation: I cannot read or be on line. My ongoing chronic illness shapes a lot of what else I can do- so I have come to rely on both activities to occupy myself and stay connected with the world.

What I realize is how much I use being online to distract myself- from pain, from the ongoing and relentless sounds of construction on my apartment building, from my own frustrations, foibles and uncomfortable feelings. And now, that distraction is not available. What will happen? I admit, I am a sucker for learning so, as much as I want my sight and the internet back, in my better moments I am more curious than frustrated.

And, I will (I think) be back when my eye is feeling better. In the meantime, I have a whole new apprecation for the visual beauty of the world- and so will share a little of it here in a photo from dear friend Peter Marmorek. ~ Oriah


10 comments:

  1. Hugs and love and courage. You will be in my daily Metta.
    (podcasts?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adie. And yes- I actully find podcasts less frustrating than audio books- particularly story telling ones like The Moth. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing that. I pass some of my strength to you...wishing you only the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May you glean from the strength of the higher power and all your family and friends find my Papa there to heal and relieve. Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words have changed my life! Thank you so much for sharing these views of life. Can one of your friends help you make the computer more accessible with assistive technology? If you are using a Windows machine, a web search instructs on ways to access information without sight. I am sure Apple has similar or better options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion- I will google to see what resourceds there are. Eye is doing a little better but am still "rationing" how much I am looking at a screen- which, at least temporarily, seems to have other benefits in terms of time available for other things. :)

      Delete
  5. He tenido el inmenso placer y la bendición de conocer sus escritos, son oraciones para mí. Agradezco a la tecnología por haberme dado la oportunidad de conocerla. He leído sobre su compromiso visual y lo lamento, seguro encontrará como disfrutar de las cosas bellas y sencillas de la vida. Usted es un inspiración para mí. Le bendigo y deseo paz y salud.

    ReplyDelete